Unit Lesson: Line
St. Basil's Cathedral
Essential Skill to be Mastered: To draw a picture of St. Basil's Cathedral using 7 different types of lines.
I Can Statement: I can draw St. Basil's Cathedral using all 7 lines of art.
Teaching Strategy: When starting this project I will show a PowerPoint presentation. Students are questioned about the 7 different types of line in art and how they are used in society. We look at different pictures in the presentation and figure out what kinds of lines are in each. I then show them pictures of St. Basil's Cathedral and have them tell me what different kinds of lines they see in the building. Students are able to choose from two different handouts on how to draw the cathedral. I model how to place the tops of the domes first on their paper so the rest is more proportionally correct. Because this is a hard building to draw I use continual guided practiced while they are drawing to help them feel reassured about the quality of their work. When I see students are getting to the point of having to cut their building out I model an easier way to do it. The instructions are written on the board at all times as a reference.
How to draw St. Basil handouts
Colored Pencils and/or Markers
12x18 drawing paper
1. Using handouts as a guide draw St. Basil's Cathedral. Try to utilized as much of the paper as possible.
2. Outline completely using a black sharpie.
3. Color using colors that closely resemble the building.
4. After coloring, cut it out so that there is only the building.
5. Using another 12x18 drawing paper, design and color the background, making sure to cover all the white.
6. Glue the building to the background making sure that all the edges are glued down. Wipe off any excess glue.
Modifications: Do not take points off if drawing is too small. Help with tower placement. Give extended time to finish.